Monday, November 1, 2010

Chautaqua's Beauty

Judge John said it best:

"I fish because ... I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly."

Chautaqua Creek is as beautiful a south shore Lake Erie stream as I've fished. Jack and I explored it on Saturday and Sunday. The leaves were far from peak, but the woods were still painted in yellows, browns and crimson. Each turn in the river offered a new miniature waterfall where the whitewater plunged through shoots, rushed across gray shale, and then fell to the pools below. The river's rumble drowned out the geese overhead. The only reminders of civilization were the occasional freight trains heading both east and west along the tracks that parallel the lake's shoreline.

From Chautaqua Creek 2010

The steelhead cooperated, as well. Their silver flash, green backs, pink stripes and red gill plates added to nature's abundant palette.

From Chautaqua Creek 2010
Judge John was fortunate to be able to leave the crowded environs and return permanently to his beloved northwoods. I am back in the ugly place were crowds are found, but I carry the memories of Chautaqua's beauty with me.

From Chautaqua Creek 2010

No comments: