Sunday, January 4, 2009

One of Those Days

I had one of my favorite stretches of the Rocky to myself and everything looked good. The flow was dropping to 100 cfs, but the river still held a little bit of color and though the water temperature was just about 32 degrees, the air temp was above freezing and rising. For the first time in weeks I at least wouldn't have to worry about ice on the guides.

I started by swinging a clouser through the pool with no luck. The flow was pretty light and getting a good swing was a challenge. I switched to a strike indicator and tied on a white minnow fly and an egg fly. I raised a large fish near the far wall, but the rod vibration told me it was foul hooked. That foreshadowed how the afternoon would go. The day consisted of foul hooking fish and losing those that might have been properly hooked long before I had a chance to find out. Several fish were hooked in boulder run, as well.

It's been a long time since I've hooked fish, but not caught any. It goes to show you, though, that the steelhead can still get the best of you. As they say, there's always next time.

No comments: