Sunday, June 21, 2009

Thank You Allan Bright of Spruce Creek Outfitters


If you are like me and only have a few chances to stream trout fish a year, then you know how important it is to get helpful advice from the locals. Allan Bright at Spruce Creek Outfitters provides just such advice in a no nonsense, direct fashion.

I called him twice during the week to check on conditions and both times he assured me the evening hatches were done and the conditions would be iffy. No sugarcoating. I arrived at his shop on the banks of the Little Juniata about 4:30 p.m. on Friday and he cautioned not to have too high of hopes. He handed me a few promising nymphs and a cahill spinner. One of the nymphs was a simple pheasant tail bead head, but with a casing and legs made of copper flashabou, rather than pheasant.

He encouraged me to start with a green weenie with the pheasant tail about a foot behind.

That combination worked just fine in the slightly murky water of the Little J. I landed my first brown trout shortly after starting to fish in the runs above the church. It's a heavily fished area, but I didn't want to spend any more time driving. And Allan's little nymph, green weenie and a caddis nymph Allan recommended all resulted in trout being landed before nightfall. One small trout slapped at the Cahill spinner at dusk, but no other rises could be generated. Nonetheless it was a productive Friday night on the Little J thanks to Allan Bright and Spruce Creek Outfitters.

Sadly, rain pounded the area that night and the Little J wouldn't fish again this weekend.

No comments: