Sunday, June 21, 2009

State College Lessons


I spent the weekend in State College, Pennsylvania, home of Penn State University. The intent was to get schooled by some brown trout. I did. But, mostly I learned that even spring creeks get muddy when the monsoons hit.


I should have taken some pictures of Penns Creek, flowing brown and full to its banks, but I didn't want to take the time to stop the car... Even little Elk Creek was raging fast, although up by its head it was still fishable Saturday afternoon. Dreams of fishing Spruce Creek on Sunday before heading back home were dashed by high and muddy water. A few cars were in the public access parking area run by Penn State, but I cannot imagine what the anglers were thinking they'd catch. I guess they believe, as do I, better to wear waders than anything at all. But I just kept driving and headed home.


The above picture shows the water on Big Fishing Creek Saturday about noon. A few hours later it was unfishable. The next few blog posts will include some other lessons learned fishing Central Pennslyvania's most beautiful streams.

No comments: