Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Time to Start Thinking Steel

This week has been the hottest of the year. Nonetheless, it is time to start thinking about steelhead. We are less than 30 days from the first reports of steelies sticking their noses into the Erie streams, only to rush back out when the temperatures rise above 80 again (which they will).

This year will be a little different for me. Instead of planning my first steelhead outing of the year, I'm counting down the days to Yellowstone -- read the Chi Wulff blog for the latest news from there. By the time I'm back from Yellowstone, I'm hoping the first serious run of fish will be in Conneaut and Elk creeks and it'll be cool enough to merit a drive east. Last year the first steelhead didn't come until October. It's been a cool summer (except for this week) so I'm betting on an early run.

No comments: